Raising the Next Generation of Philadelphia City Kids
- Explore the large distance between members-only boho daycare in Center City centers and the lack of safe space only a few miles north.
- Learn how closing hospitals have left thousands of mothers-to-be without nearby services.
- Meet two very different faces of the future of urban parenthood.
The Old Negotiating Table Isn’t Working, So Palestinian Designers Are Building a New One
- Meet the Palestinians and Israelis rethinking the region's increasingly urban future.
- Learn how new kinds of urban development could help break political stalemate.
- Consider the role of urban planning in the crowded and contested streets of the West Bank and Jerusalem.
Casino Profits Are Falling. Sea Levels Are Rising. What’s Next for AC?
- Learn how the battle between Atlantic City Mayor Lorenzo Langford and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie continues to play out in AC's distressed neighborhoods.
- Meet the AC residents and labor leaders who are fighting to keep the city alive.
- Read about the few options Atlantic City has if its future is to be any brighter than its post-Sandy present.
- ติดตามความพยายามของเครือข่ายสังคมที่ไม่เป็นทางการในกรุงเทพฯ ขณะที่เครือข่ายเหล่านี้รอดพ้นและฟื้นตัวจากอุทกภัยปี 2554
- อ่านเกี่ยวกับเทคโนโลยีใหม่ๆ ที่กำลังได้รับการพัฒนา เพื่อทำให้สามารถเก็บรวบรวมข้อมูลอย่างไม่เป็นทางการได้ และการตอบสนองที่นำโดยประชาชนคนธรรมดาในระหว่างภัยพิบัติต่างๆ
- เรียนรู้ว่าเมืองอื่นๆ กำลังฝึกและเตรียมชุมชนอย่างไร เพื่อเสริมแผนการตอบสนองภัยพิบัติของรัฐบาล
How Informal Networks Battled Bangkok’s Worst Flood
- Follow the efforts of informal social networks in Bangkok as they survived and recovered from the 2011 floods.
- Read about new technologies being developed to enable informal data collection and citizen-led response during disasters.
- Learn how other cities are training and equipping communities to plug into official government disaster response plans.
The Shale Gas Boom Hits Nutter’s Philadelphia
- Read about how the Nutter's green team envisions coexisting with the incoming smoke stacks of the shale gas boom.
- Learn about the economic development potential — and the environmental risks — posed by an expansion of natural gas refining in Philadelphia.
- Explore the future of green jobs, and not-so-green jobs in Pennsylvania and the country as a whole.
Changing the World of Public Financing With Chicago’s Infrastructure Trust
- Learn how the nation's third-largest city got stuck with a 20th-century foundation for a 21st-century economy.
- Read about the $380 billion worth of infrastructure projects on the table for Chicago over the next three decades.
- Find out why observers around the country have their eyes on the Chicago Infrastructure Trust.
A Story of Race, Class & Washington Politics
- Move from leafy Shepherd Park to an Anacostia church basement to discover how Washingtonians feel about their changing city.
- Learn the history of race relations in D.C. and how they have shaped its local political geography today.
- Read about how communities are responding to the reshaping of their hometown,
What the Bloomingdale Trail and Other Emerging Urban Parks Are Teaching Us About the Future of Public Space
- Learn why there will never be another High Line.
- Read about the the strategies that Chicago, Philadelphia and St. Louis have adapted as they move forward with their own parks in the sky.
- Meet the thinkers and doers behind the next generation of urban green spaces
Can the U.S. Learn from Canada’s Place-Based Visas?
- Meet the people who have come through the Provincial Nominee Programs, and hear about their experiences settling into Canadian communities.
- Learn how immigration was always considered a cornerstone of Canadian prosperity (and has been treated as such).
- Find out how place-based immigration could work in the U.S.
Will Youngstown Frack Its Way Back?
- See how two national conundrums, urban decline and hydraulic fracking, have come to a head in Youngstown.
- Find out what an ongoing "planned shrinkage" effort has to do with fracking.
- Learn about the options on the table for a city that's lost 60 percent of its people in 60 years.
Depending on a Pipeline for Prosperity in East Africa
- See how an oil conflict in South Sudan overlaps with the anxieties of fishermen on the Kenyan coast.
- Learn about the one of the oldest continuously settled regions of Africa, and what a massive pipeline means for its future.
- Find out what's in store for three rapidly modernizing countries on a rapidly modernizing continent.
How a City Got Its River Back
- Learn the troubled history of the L.A. River and why its future is so much brighter.
- Read about grassroots efforts to revitalize the river, and meet the characters — from rogue kayakers to performance artists — behind them.
- Find out about ongoing improvements around the river and what they mean for L.A.
An Excerpt from ‘Hope Against Hope’
- Meet the human faces behind the grim statistics that burden New Orleans.
- Learn about the hopes, dreams and struggles of ordinary students and educators who must live under the constant threat of violence.
- Read how gun violence has a different effect in a city like New Orleans than it does in Chicago or Los Angeles.
How Brooklyn Dropped the Ball on the Biggest Negotiation of Its Life
- Read how the community groups that gave critical support to Atlantic Yards feel about the project today, and learn what became of their plans for giving back to Brooklyn.
- Learn about CBAs, their successes and their challenges.
- Find out what's next for this contested corner of an ever-changing borough.
Cairo’s Other Revolution
- See how Egypt's political and urbanist revolts compliment and expand upon one another.
- Learn the history of Cairo and Tahrir Square, and how public space became a flashpoint for the Arab Spring.
- Meet the activists, business owners, street vendors and designers working to return Cairo to its people.
Will Casinos Be a Win for Ohio Cities?
- Learn about the issues, from taxes to historic preservation, at stake in Cleveland and beyond as casinos enter downtowns.
- Find out how Ohio went from having no casinos to having one in each of its largest cities in less than a year.
- See what casinos have (and haven't) done for cities and downtowns in the past.
Will Insourcing Give the U.S. the Jobs it Needs?
- Meet the players trying to restore manufacturing jobs from Michigan to Georgia.
- Learn about the policies and practices meant to spur insourcing, and where they've seen the most success.
- Find out how American manufacturing has moved beyond the assembly line to become a safer, greener and choosier employer.
Fighting for the Future of a São Paulo Neighborhood
- Learn about the paradigm-shifting land use policies behind the biggest real estate development in the biggest city in South America.
- Read about how global development trends are playing out in Brazil.
- Understand how land expropriation could affect a neighborhood once ravaged by crack but now bustling with Peruvian immigrants, students and artists.
Is There an Urban Agriculture Bubble?
- Find out what is — and isn't — on the horizon for much-lauded urban farms around the country.
- Learn how Montreal's Lufa Farms has bucked the trend to become profitable and self-sustaining.
- Discover how farms and cities are not as historically divergent as one might think.