Next American City is seeking an International Editor for a one-year contract position. The International Editor’s primary focus will be managing from the United States the editorial, social media and communications output of a grant-funded project based in six rapidly urbanizing cities (Accra, Bangkok, Chennai, Lima, Manila and Nairobi). This international project will explore the interface between the formal and informal in local economies, infrastructure, healthcare and culture and require written and multimedia documentation of the project, engagement with the local community and analysis of the project’s outcomes.
The International Editor’s primary responsibilities include:
- Working with local organizations to find one writer in each of the six cities who will serve as a local blogger for the next year
- Overseeing weekly editorial content and social media outputs of the six embedded local writers
- Assigning and editing Forefront stories set in the six cities
- Working with an Audience Development Assistant to leverage local social media for maximum impact and awareness
- Providing analytical reports back to the granting foundation
- Working with the editorial team, Creative Director and Web Developer to create a website that contains all communications content
- Assigning and editing other international content as necessary
The position will require an independent, motivated journalist with:
- Excellent editorial judgment and a sense of urgency commensurate with the 24-hour, international news cycle;
- Experience managing writers and assigning and editing short- and long-form editorial content;
- A passion for and understanding of social media networks and a knowledge of how to grow an audience using multiple online platforms;
- An ability to synthesize editorial content and generate analytical information helpful for the granting foundation;
- Strong competency in using blogging software, social media sites and publishing multimedia content.
Next American City is based in Philadelphia, and prefers local candidates, but is open to candidates working in or willing to relocate to New York, Philadelphia or Washington, D.C.
The salary for the year-long position includes health insurance and paid vacation.
All candidates should submit an application by email to info AT americancity.org with a cover letter pasted in the body of the email and a resume attached. Please make sure the subject line includes “International Editor.”
Diana Lind is the former executive director and editor in chief of Next City.