At A Glance
- 3.1 million population
- 50-60% share of Nairobi residents living in slums
- 2.2 million number of Nairobi residents working in the informal economy
- (Statistics are estimates and compiled from multiple sources)
- A recent UN report described Nairobi’s informal settlements as “some of the most dense, unsanitary and insecure slums in the world.”
- Nairobi is estimated to have the fastest annual population growth in Africa. 75 percent of this growth is absorbed by its slums.
- Slums cover only 6 percent of Nairobi’s total residential land area, but house at least 50 percent of its population.
- Institute for Economic Affairs (grantee)
- African Centre for Cities
- Map Kibera
- Urban Africa
- Voice of Kibera