At A Glance
- 8.3 million population
- 30% population growth between 2000 and 2010
- 14.5 million population (metro area)
- 80,000 population of one of Bangkok’s largest slums (Klong Toey)
- 57% share of Thailand’s GDP generated by the informal economy
- (Statistics are estimates and compiled from multiple sources)
- Thailand’s World Bank income categorization was upgraded in 2011 from a lower-middle income economy to an upper-middle income economy.
- Poverty in Thailand fell from 21 percent in the late 1990s to 8 percent in 2009. Only 12 percent of impoverished Thais live in urban areas.
- The number of registered vehicles in Bangkok rose from 600,000 in 1980 to 6.8 million today.
- Chulalongkorn University (grantee)
- Asian Coalition for Community Action
- Asian Coalition for Housing Rights
- Urban Research Plaza