Social media’s been tricky terrain for many U.S. city governments navigating the era of transparency and Twitter, but on Instagram this year, these municipal departments and leaders managed to capture with a snap the reasons we love urban living.
1. Boston nails the beach look.
2. Yes, Virginia, there is ice skating in the desert.
3. Raising funds with a Texas-sized cake. Yum. (Next City’s headed to Houston in May 2016 for our annual Vanguard conference.)
4. Pogo sticks offer a different perspective on the skyline.
5. Twice the love: NYCGov’s “Instagram ambassadors” program + cats (kinda).
Congratulations to our #Manhattan #AutumnInNYC Instagram Ambassador Lauren Smith! Follow her at @NYCwanderings. Lauren captures all things NYC, and this photo is no exception. She has an eye for iconic spots and hidden gems alike and hopes “to inspire the people of New York to start looking up from their cell phones and appreciate the extremely photogenic city we live in.” We’re excited for what’s in store during her time as an Instagram Ambassador! Tomorrow, meet our 5th new ambassador.
6. One word: Popeadelphia.
7. Sending a message.
8. Here’s a twist on the doughnut-buying cop.
9. Never too young to learn about water conservation.
10. One thing the U.S. is no longer lacking: pics of bike-riding mayors.
11. When a city gov displays the good kind of hot air.
12. Citywide celebrations.
13. Modern or no, libraries are a vital community resource.
Information, please! Here's one of our retro book check out slips. I've posted quite a few of these, and you would not believe how many books I had to open up to find all of them! For anything you want to know your library is the place to go! #bookstagram #duedateslip #tiertreasure #milwaukeepubliclibrary #vintage #librarylove #historyofreading
14. Next time you take a pretty tree shot at your fave city park, remember the space’s day-to-day maintenance.
15. L.A. DOT shows off its creative signal cabinets.