Accra Tries to Make Room for a Population Boom
- See the overcrowded conditions that force many residents of Accra to spend most of their lives on the street.
- Learn why the capital of one of the world's fastest growing economies can't even house its own citizens.
- Hear about the innovative attempts to solve the crisis, and the many obstacles that stand in the way.
Code for America Won’t Build the App that Will Save Our Cities, And Why That’s Okay
- Read how Jennifer Pahlka turned a good idea into a multimillion dollar organization and why President Obama has brought her onto his team.
- Learn why Code for America is growing and changing.
- Discover how local governments and the civic tech movement are adapting to one another.
The Hopes, Fears and Possibilities of the Detroit Future City Plan
- Meet the players trying to make Detroit Future City work, and learn why those who oppose it feel the way they do.
- Learn about the approaches on the table for dealing with Detroit's 20 square miles of vacant properties.
- Understand how Detroit Future City differs from past master-planning efforts.
Why Things Are About to Change for Philadelphia’s Immigrant Restaurant Workers
- Meet the hidden players of Philly's restaurant scene, including dishwashers-turned-executive chefs and cooks who run home kitchens.
- Learn the story of how one chance encounter set off a huge wave of immigration from Mexico to Philadelphia.
- Find out how a debate in the halls of Washington, D.C. will affect restaurant kitchens all over.
¿Logrará Lima una solución definitiva para sus problemas de transporte?
Can Lima Finally Untangle Its Transportation Mess?
- Learn how Lima's transportation woes are crippling the city as the number of buses and private vehicles explodes.
- Explore the city's new BRT system, one part of a larger plan to relieve the city's congestion and pollution.
- Hear from private bus operators who fear that reform efforts will adversely affect their livelihoods.
Learning to Lead Through Networks
- Learn how the Fund for Our Economic Future is bringing digital-age manufacturing to formerly industrial Northeast Ohio.
- Read why the 21st-century global economy makes regional networking and collaboration necessary for strong and healthy metro areas.
- Find out why the age of the lone economic genius is over.
Reexamining the SRO
- Learn about the tricky legal ground housing officials must navigate when trying to shut down illegal apartment conversions.
- Find out why local leaders from New York to Seattle want to allow housing developers to build even smaller than they already do.
- Meet New Yorkers who would have nowhere to go without SROs.
Manila’s Quest to Build a Better Informal Settlement
- Learn how different groups in Metro Manila are working to reverse the city's long history of chaotic and ineffective relocations.
- Tour an entrepreneurial farm where resettled slum dwellers live communally and cultivate their own start-up businesses.
- Find out how Habitat for Humanity is fashioning itself as a broker between banks, government and settlers to acquire land for slum dwellers.
Raising the Next Generation of Philadelphia City Kids
- Explore the large distance between members-only boho daycare in Center City centers and the lack of safe space only a few miles north.
- Learn how closing hospitals have left thousands of mothers-to-be without nearby services.
- Meet two very different faces of the future of urban parenthood.
The Old Negotiating Table Isn’t Working, So Palestinian Designers Are Building a New One
- Meet the Palestinians and Israelis rethinking the region's increasingly urban future.
- Learn how new kinds of urban development could help break political stalemate.
- Consider the role of urban planning in the crowded and contested streets of the West Bank and Jerusalem.
Casino Profits Are Falling. Sea Levels Are Rising. What’s Next for AC?
- Learn how the battle between Atlantic City Mayor Lorenzo Langford and New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie continues to play out in AC's distressed neighborhoods.
- Meet the AC residents and labor leaders who are fighting to keep the city alive.
- Read about the few options Atlantic City has if its future is to be any brighter than its post-Sandy present.
- ติดตามความพยายามของเครือข่ายสังคมที่ไม่เป็นทางการในกรุงเทพฯ ขณะที่เครือข่ายเหล่านี้รอดพ้นและฟื้นตัวจากอุทกภัยปี 2554
- อ่านเกี่ยวกับเทคโนโลยีใหม่ๆ ที่กำลังได้รับการพัฒนา เพื่อทำให้สามารถเก็บรวบรวมข้อมูลอย่างไม่เป็นทางการได้ และการตอบสนองที่นำโดยประชาชนคนธรรมดาในระหว่างภัยพิบัติต่างๆ
- เรียนรู้ว่าเมืองอื่นๆ กำลังฝึกและเตรียมชุมชนอย่างไร เพื่อเสริมแผนการตอบสนองภัยพิบัติของรัฐบาล
How Informal Networks Battled Bangkok’s Worst Flood
- Follow the efforts of informal social networks in Bangkok as they survived and recovered from the 2011 floods.
- Read about new technologies being developed to enable informal data collection and citizen-led response during disasters.
- Learn how other cities are training and equipping communities to plug into official government disaster response plans.
The Shale Gas Boom Hits Nutter’s Philadelphia
- Read about how the Nutter's green team envisions coexisting with the incoming smoke stacks of the shale gas boom.
- Learn about the economic development potential — and the environmental risks — posed by an expansion of natural gas refining in Philadelphia.
- Explore the future of green jobs, and not-so-green jobs in Pennsylvania and the country as a whole.
Changing the World of Public Financing With Chicago’s Infrastructure Trust
- Learn how the nation's third-largest city got stuck with a 20th-century foundation for a 21st-century economy.
- Read about the $380 billion worth of infrastructure projects on the table for Chicago over the next three decades.
- Find out why observers around the country have their eyes on the Chicago Infrastructure Trust.
A Story of Race, Class & Washington Politics
- Move from leafy Shepherd Park to an Anacostia church basement to discover how Washingtonians feel about their changing city.
- Learn the history of race relations in D.C. and how they have shaped its local political geography today.
- Read about how communities are responding to the reshaping of their hometown,
What the Bloomingdale Trail and Other Emerging Urban Parks Are Teaching Us About the Future of Public Space
- Learn why there will never be another High Line.
- Read about the the strategies that Chicago, Philadelphia and St. Louis have adapted as they move forward with their own parks in the sky.
- Meet the thinkers and doers behind the next generation of urban green spaces
Can the U.S. Learn from Canada’s Place-Based Visas?
- Meet the people who have come through the Provincial Nominee Programs, and hear about their experiences settling into Canadian communities.
- Learn how immigration was always considered a cornerstone of Canadian prosperity (and has been treated as such).
- Find out how place-based immigration could work in the U.S.
Will Youngstown Frack Its Way Back?
- See how two national conundrums, urban decline and hydraulic fracking, have come to a head in Youngstown.
- Find out what an ongoing "planned shrinkage" effort has to do with fracking.
- Learn about the options on the table for a city that's lost 60 percent of its people in 60 years.