Anna Clark is an independent journalist living in Detroit. Her writing has appeared in The Guardian, The American Prospect, Salon, The Nation, The Daily Beast, Grantland, The Detroit Free Press, The Christian Science Monitor, The Boston Review and other publications. She is currently a political media correspondent for the Columbia Journalism Review. In 2011, she was a Fulbright Fellow in Nairobi, Kenya, where she focused on creative writing. She also has been a fellow with the Peter Jennings Center for Journalists and the Constitution. She writes the literary blog Isak (www.annaclark.net) and is a member of the National Book Critics Circle.
The Hopes, Fears and Possibilities of the Detroit Future City Plan
- Meet the players trying to make Detroit Future City work, and learn why those who oppose it feel the way they do.
- Learn about the approaches on the table for dealing with Detroit's 20 square miles of vacant properties.
- Understand how Detroit Future City differs from past master-planning efforts.
Will Casinos Be a Win for Ohio Cities?
- Learn about the issues, from taxes to historic preservation, at stake in Cleveland and beyond as casinos enter downtowns.
- Find out how Ohio went from having no casinos to having one in each of its largest cities in less than a year.
- See what casinos have (and haven't) done for cities and downtowns in the past.
Will Insourcing Give the U.S. the Jobs it Needs?
- Meet the players trying to restore manufacturing jobs from Michigan to Georgia.
- Learn about the policies and practices meant to spur insourcing, and where they've seen the most success.
- Find out how American manufacturing has moved beyond the assembly line to become a safer, greener and choosier employer.
Can Non-Profits Run Cities?
- Explore what happens when Detroit outsources management of its most thriving neighborhood.
- Read about how powerhouse Sue Mosey is transforming the city.
- Learn about the evolving role of community development corporations.